Stardrag's Reviews > Shadow's Edge

Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks

Apr 02, 12

Read in March, 2012, read count: 1

Seriously, what happened to this book?

When I went into this series I was hoping-and at first got the usual rags to riches story but with assassins-for some cold truths and how love and sacrifice really do change a person. And the message was what the book was based on. Which in the end didn't matter (view spoiler).

But this, this book literally taught a message that in itself said to not follow. And to be honest, when reading this book, be prepared to read one where Weeks basically mixes Christianity with every other culture in the world. And even though polytheism is supposed to be the norm, the books seems to be trying to shove down my throat that "The One God,' is basically the right god. Seriously, why that god? Shouldn't we have equal enough proof to stand up for the other gods, who are never named or even given a hint on how to worship? Nor is the idea or act of church even brought up for such God fearing people.

It all just feels hollow in its makeup as if Weeks said, "Oh, I forgot to give them a religion, well, I'm Christian...if it's good enough for me, then it's good enough for my entire fantasy world."

This is actually one of those books where the obvious main character will actually be less entertaining than the side characters. Though to be honest, I do give it up for Vi. She should've been on the cover of this book instead of Kylar.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow's Edge.

Quotes Stardrag Liked

Brent Weeks
“Why is it, my shadow-striding friend, that we don't fear dreams? We lose consciousness, lose control, things happen with no apparent logic and abiding by no apparent rules.... We don't fear dreams, but we do fear madness, and death terrifies us.”
Brent Weeks, Shadow's Edge