Claire's Reviews > The Girl Who Owned a City

F_50x66
Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: ya, speculative
Read in April, 2012

Am I paranoid, or is this an extended allegory about the virtues of neoliberal bootstrapping?

Either way, it's crazy didactic, the protagonist is annoyingly self-righteous, and the art, world-building, and dialogue-as-exposition are all pretty generic. Also, how can you have a dystopian graphic novel that shows practically none of the larger landscape in the art? If this world is so horrifying, I want to see it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Owned a City.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by hannah (new) - added it

hannah Yes! That's my problem with this iteration, too. I have to track down the original novel and read it again, because this version made me feel like it was all about bootstraps and privilege and it was so, so awful.

message 2: by Wendy (new)

Wendy Yes, this book (I haven't read the graphic novel) is entirely and purposefully an introduction to the joys of hardcore libertarianism for children. The second edition of the book cuts out a few things that make it clear that that was the author's intent, but a lot of the crap remains. This book is, I kid you not, anti-VOTING. Find a copy of the original-original if you can.