Melodie's Reviews > Bloodfever

Bloodfever by Karen Marie Moning

May 22, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, awesome, good-read, part-of-series, paranormal-romance
Read from May 20 to 22, 2012

Who and what the frogs is Jericho Barrons?!? After two books, the mystery is eating at me. Just when I gained some clues on him and made a guess, it's proven wrong. I am going crazy with the suspense.

This series is awesome. I can't get enough. That's something I don't often say to non-romance books. There is never a lack of excitement with Mac and Barrons.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bloodfever.

Quotes Melodie Liked

Karen Marie Moning
“One day you will kiss a man you can't breathe without, and find that breath is of little consequence.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Was he a good kisser, Ms. Lane?” Barrons asked, watching me carefully.
I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand at the memory. “It was like being owned.”
Some women like that.”
Not me.”
Perhaps it depends on the man doing the owning.”
I doubt it. I couldn’t breathe with him kissing me.”
One day you may kiss a man you can’t breathe without, and find breath is of little consequence.”
Right, and one day my prince might come.”
I doubt he’ll be a prince, Ms. Lane. Men rarely are.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Burns from dropped matches, Ms. Lane? Matches one might have dropped while flirting with a pernicious
Fae, Ms. Lane? Have you any idea the value of this rug?”

I didn’t think his nostrils could flare any wider. His eyes were black flame. “Pernicious? Good grief, is English
your second language? Third?” Only someone who’d learned English from a dictionary would use such a word.

“Fifth,” he snarled. “Answer me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Home, Ms. Lane?” His deep voice was gently amused.

“I have to call it something,” I said morosely. “They say home is where the heart is. I think mine’s satin-lined
and six feet under.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Every time I think I’m getting smarter I realize that I’ve just done something stupid. Dad says there are three kinds of people in the world: those who don’t know, and don’t know they don’t know; those who don’t know and do know they don’t know; and those who know and know how much they still don’t know.

Heavy stuff, I know. I think I’ve finally graduated from the don’t-knows that don’t know to the don’t-knows
that do.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I see God in a sunrise, not in repetitious ritual.”
tags: mac

Karen Marie Moning
“I was about to look away when he reached across the seat, touched my jaw with his long, strong, beautiful fingers, and caressed my face.
Being touched by Jericho Barrons with kindness makes you feel like you must be the most special person in the world. It’s like walking up to the biggest, most savage lion in the jungle, lying down, placing your head it its mouth and, rather than taking your life, it licks you and purrs.”

Karen Marie Moning
“It's a strange new world out there and the rules have changed: It's every princess for herself.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Barrons." I hastily shoved the phone between the cushions.

Ms. Lane." He inclined his dark head.

You tattooed me, you bastard." I got right to the point.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Barrons Books and Baubles had been ransacked!

Tables were overturned, books torn from shelves and strewn everywhere, baubles broken. Even my little TV behind the counter had been destroyed.

"Barrons?" I called warily. It was night and the lights were on. My illusory Alina had told me more than an hour had passed. Was it the same night, nearly dawn? Or was it the night following our theft attempt? Had Barrons come back from Wales yet? Or was he still there, searching for me? When I‘d been so rudely ripped from reality, who or what had come through those basement doors?

I heard footsteps, boots on hardwood, and turned expectantly toward the connecting doors.

Barrons was framed in the doorway. His eyes were black ice. He stared at me a moment, raking me from head to toe. "Nice tan, Ms. Lane. So, where the fuck have you been for the past month?”

Karen Marie Moning
“Deals with the devil, Ms. Lane, never go well. That‘s a given. You will not make one again. Do you understand me? If I have to chain you to a fucking wall to protect you from your own stupidity, I will!" He glared at me.

I rattled my chains. "Wrists. Beam. Chained already, Barrons. Come up with a new threat." I glared back.”

Karen Marie Moning
“His hand was on my throat, and he was crushing me back with his body into the cold steel beam behind me. "Yes, I have loved, Ms. Lane, and although it‘s none of your business, I have lost. Many things. And no, I am not like any other player in this game and I will never be like V‘lane, and I get a hard-on a great deal more often than occasionally." He leaned fully against me and I gasped.

"Sometimes it‘s over a spoiled little girl, not a woman at all. And yes, I trashed the bookstore when I couldn‘t find you. You‘ll have to choose a new bedroom, too. And I‘m sorry your pretty little world got all screwed up, but everybody‘s does, and you go on. It‘s how you go on that defines you." His hand relaxed on my throat. "And I am going to tattoo you, Ms. Lane, however and wherever I please.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Don‘t do it. I let you push me pretty far sometimes, but not this time. I will not have you put your"—it took me a moment to find the right words—"sorcerer‘s brand on me, so you can hunt me down whenever and wherever you please. And that, Jericho Barrons, is non-negotiable."

Well done, Ms. Lane. Just when I think you‘re all useless fluff and nails, you show me some teeth."

You win. This time. I won‘t tattoo you. Not today. But in lieu of that, you will do something for me. Refuse and I tattoo you. And, Ms. Lane, if I chain you up one more time tonight, there‘ll be no more talking. I‘ll gag you.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I couldn‘t tell the difference between the two of you anymore!" he roared.

I smashed my fist into his face. Lies roll off us. It‘s the truths we work hardest to silence.

Then you weren‘t looking hard enough! I‘m the one with boobs!"

I know you‘re the one with boobs!They‘re in my fucking face every fucking time I turn around!”

Karen Marie Moning
“Maybe you need to get a grip on your libido, Barrons!"
Fuck you, Ms. Lane!"
You just try. I‘ll kick the shit out of you!"
You think you could?"
Bring it on."

He grabbed a fistful of my T-shirt, and dragged me up against him until our noses touched.
I‘ll bring it on, Ms. Lane. But remember you asked for it. So don‘t even think about trying to tap out on the mat and quit the fight."
You hear anybody crying ‗Uncle‘ here, Barrons? I don‘t."
Fine."
Fine.”

Karen Marie Moning
“He swapped the fistful of my shirt for one in my hair, and ground his mouth against mine.
I exploded.
I shoved at him, and clawed him closer. He shoved me back, and yanked me tighter to his body. I pulled his hair. He pulled mine. He didn‘t fight fair. Actually, he fought exactly fair. He didn‘t extend courtesies, not a single one.
I bit his lip. He tripped me and pushed me down to the stone floor of the cavern. I punched him. He straddled me.
I ripped his shirt down the front, left it hanging in tatters from his shoulders.
"I liked that shirt", he snarled. He rose over me, a dark demon, glistening in the torchlight, dripping sweat and blood, his torso covered with tattoos that disappeared beneath his waistband.
He grabbed the hem of my shirt, tore it straight up to my neck, and inhaled sharply. ”

Karen Marie Moning
“If he’d been any other man and i'd been any other girl, I’d have called the narrowing of his heavy-lidded dark eyes lust. But he was Barrons and I was Mac, and a blossoming of lust was about as likely as orchids blooming in Antarctica”

Karen Marie Moning
“I get off on a man with strong moral fiber. The closest Barrons ever gets to fiber is walking down the cereal aisle at the grocery store.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Have you ever had one of those moments when time just freezes? You
know, when the world suddenly goes deathly still, and you could hear a
pin drop, and the squishing sound your heart makes is so loud in your
ears you feel like youre drowning in blood, and you stand there in that
suspended moment and die a thousand deaths, but not really, and the
moment passes and dumps you out on the other side of it, with your
mouth hanging open, and an erased blackboard where your mind used to
be?”

Karen Marie Moning
“What is trust, sidhe-seer, but expectation that another will behave in a certain fashion, consistent with prior actions?”

Karen Marie Moning
“A wing or a thigh? Ah, I'm afraid we don't have any thighs left.”

“So....stop....me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Even I don't know what you're doing, and I know everything.”

“Punch me."
"Don't be absurd."
"Come on, punch me, Barrons."
"I'm not punching you."
"I said, punch--OW!"
He decked me.”

Karen Marie Moning
“For what other reason would you have me save you? Because I like you? Better to be useful than liked.”

“Jericho."
"Mac."
"Thank you for saving my life. Again.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Barrons, Jericho: I haven't the faintest fecking clue. He keeps saving my life. I suppose that's something.”

“What are you Barrons?”
“The one who will never let you die, and that’s more, Ms Lane, than anyone in your life has been able to say to you. More than anyone else can do”

Karen Marie Moning
“I’m asking the questions tonight.” One day I was going to write a book: How to Dictate to a Dictator
and Evade an Evader, subtitled How to Handle Jericho Barrons.”
tags: mac

Karen Marie Moning
“Fire isn’t good or bad. It just burns.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Barrons has something the rest of us don't have. I don't know what it is, but I feel it all the time, especially when we're standing close. Beneath the expensive clothes, unplaceable accent, and cultured veneer, there's something that never crawled all the way out of the swamp. It didn't want to. It likes it there.”

Karen Marie Moning
“You & I are here but the wind is everywhere. Cast no words upon it you don’t wish followed back to you.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I don’t know where dreams come from. Sometimes I wonder if they’re genetic memories, or messages from something divine. Warnings perhaps. Maybe we do come with an instruction booklet but we’re too dense to read it, because we’ve dismissed it as the irrational waste product of the ‘rational’ mind. Sometimes I think all the answers we need are buried in our slumbering subconscious, int he dreaming. The booklet right there, and ever night when we lay our heads down on the pillow it flips open. The wise read it, heed it. The rest of us try as hard as we can upon awakening to forget any disturbing revelations we might have found there.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Flirtation doesn't have to go somewhere; it certainly doesn't need to end up in bed. I like to think of it as a little friendlier than a handshake, a little less intimate than a kiss. It's a way of saying hi, you look great, have a wonderful day. A tasteful flirtation, played out people who understand the rules, leave everyone feeling good and can perk up the bluest mood.”

Karen Marie Moning
“I want us to be... what is your word? Friends."
"Psychotic rapists don't have friends."
"I was unaware you were a psychotic rapists or I would not have offered."
(Mac & V'lane)”
tags: humor

Karen Marie Moning
“For the past few years, I've been on a quest for a good old-fashioned date, the kind where the guy calls, makes the plans, picks you up in a car that's not his dad's or his other girlfriend's, and takes you somewhere that shows he put thought into what you might like, not what he might get off on like the latest how-many-naked-boobs-can-we-cram-into-this-movie-to-disguise-the-complete-lack-of-plot movie. I'm looking for the kind of date that starts with good conversation , has a sweet and satisfying middle, and ends with long, slow kisses and the dreamy feeling that you're walking on clouds.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Mom raised us to believe that every lie puts something out there in the world that's inevitably going to come back and bite you in the petunia.”

Karen Marie Moning
“The wisest man is the silent one. Examine his actions. Judge him by them.”

Karen Marie Moning
“There are only shades of gray. Black and white are nothing more than lofty ideals in our minds, the standards by which we try to judge things, and map out our place in the world in relevance to them.”

Karen Marie Moning
“When you were too young and naïve to see the risks, I incurred your wrath to protect you. Scream at me for it if you must. Thank me for it when you finally grow up.”

“From who?”
“From whom, I believe is the correct phrasing.”
“All right, from-the-fuck-whom, Ms. Lane?”

Karen Marie Moning
“He doesn’t beat me,” I said irritably. “I’d kill him if he did.”
“She would. She has a temper. Stubborn, too. But we’re working on that, aren’t we, Ms. Lane?”

Karen Marie Moning
“Being nearly naked around Barrons felt a lot like going to a shark convention lightly basted in blood.”

Karen Marie Moning
“Goor or evil, right or wrong, he mattered to me.”

05/21/2012 page 98