Denae's Reviews > Winter's Heart

Winter's Heart by Robert Jordan

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: epic-fantasy
Read in March, 2012

I left off reading in the middle of this book and didn't pick it up for about nine months. The plot is super intricate and massive, and the world and characters are well done, but there's so much going on. Almost too much going on. I couldn't understand what could be done differently, however, until this book. RJ has to record every major event that happens. Problem is, he often only has minor/insignificant characters in place to see such major events taking place and uses them for his pov character. Sometimes never returning to them again. He has literally hundreds of pov characters. Most never used again. What if he maneuvered some side charaters (rather than completely unimportant characters) into place for all those major events? then he could use fewer pov characters.
For example, Mat is probably one of the top 5 main characters. We did not hear about poor Mat for a book and a half (about 1200 pages) once. The same happened to Perrin. This is necessary because RJ has so VERY many characters. He handles them VERY well, but, as a reader with limited memory and limited patience, I don't handle them quite as well. Especially the bad guys. I don't much care what the bad guys are up to most of the time. Especially the creepy-weird Arangar and Osangar characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter's Heart.