Jeff Stockett's Reviews > Hana Highway Mile by Mile: The Road to Hana & Beyond

Hana Highway Mile by Mile by John Derrick

Aug 30, 12

bookshelves: travel-guide
Read from April 01 to 02, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

This book describes every stop along the Hana Highway as well as the Piilani Highway. Since this drive is an important bucket list item I wanted to get all the information I could about it before heading to Maui.

I really liked how every stop was rated from 1 to 5 stars so that right away you know which ones are must sees and which ones are a waste of time. But, more importantly, they describe each stop in detail so that if your preferences are different from that of the author, you can still make your own choice as to which stops you want to enjoy for yourself. They also describe in detail how to find each stop. They have good maps as well as descriptions of how to find things on the road.

Of course, at this point I have only read the book and marked which stops I want to see. Once we get back from Maui I'll be able to describe how well this book actually enhanced my experience and I'll update my review then.

---------------------------------

This is my update, after I actually used this book as a reference while driving the road to Hana. It was awesome. The descriptions of landmarks helped us to find every stop that we wanted to see.

There is only one negative thing I have to say. The book said that we should skip the hike to Twin Falls. However, a friend told me that was a must see. We did the hike and it was my second favorite waterfall of the day. (behind Waimoku Falls) The book still helped us get there, but I guess I just disagreed with the book's assessment and rating of the waterfall.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hana Highway Mile by Mile.