Rachael's Reviews > The Diamond Secret: A Retelling of Anastasia

liked it
bookshelves: romance, 2012, reviewed
Read from April 07 to 10, 2012

2.5 Stars

The main problem I had with this book was that there weren’t major changes from the original “Anastasia” story and The Diamond Secret. There were a few changes – the petticoats, the age (compared to the movie, which now is more historically accurate), the names, and the antagonist. But really, when I read this book, it was more like reading “Anastasia” but with different names.

In addition, I didn’t see many conflicts involving Rasputin’s assistant. He appears a few times during the main plot, and for a whole chapter in the end, but that was all. Maybe I’m biased because I’ve watched the movie, where Rasputin and his assistant constantly appear, but the antagonist seemed more like a minor threat instead of a villain.

However, I liked the development of Nadya and ‘s relationship. Unlike other books in the Once Upon a Time series, it wasn’t love at first sight or love within a few chapters. Their fondness for each other grew to a liking, then eventually into love. And, as a sucker for romance, this was a major plus for me.

I also liked Nadya as a character. Like Violet in Violet Eyes (another book of the Once Upon a Time series), she wasn’t raised as a princess, but nevertheless is quick-witted and courageous.

I would recommend this book to strong fans of “Anastasia” or middle grade students who are unaware of the story, or just looking for a short read. Otherwise, try The Crimson Thread, Golden, or The Water Frog, three stories where the story is drastically changed into something new.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diamond Secret.

04/07/2012 page 28