Fred's Reviews > Strategos: Born in the Borderlands

Strategos by Gordon Doherty

Aug 10, 2014

bookshelves: fantasy, military-historical-fiction
Read from April 01 to 09, 2012

Before I get started I guess I should say that my standards for a five are pretty darn high - and this book came close. I really wish I could give half a star on here sometimes and this is one of them because this is surely a four and a half.

I won't ruin the revelation at the ending but I will say that it caught me entirely by surprise and it was truly a crowning jewel moment for an already good book. I look forward to book two because if anything it has the potential to pull off the five star rating what with the plot building up at the end the way that it does.

Apion was a boy with many challenges, and the only thing that I can see that went a little bit fast it seemed like in the book was the way that his leg grew better after he joined the Byzantine Army, but the writer did skip a significant amount of time in that section of the book. It just seemed a little like he was trying to drive on to the forthcoming exciting parts.

Now Maria, as human as she is, I don't know what her problem is. I don't understand things women do in my own life though so that's not terribly surprising either.

All in all, a nice blend of action and plot along with a decent amount of historical truth behind it. A good book that will keep fans of historical fiction going and military fiction alike going until the end.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strategos.

04/01/2012 page 130