Zenia's Reviews > The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain

The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain by Cath Crowley

Apr 06, 12

Read from April 01 to 04, 2012

My mum gave me this book at least a year ago. She and my sister had both read it some time before and they thought, since I am now a teenager, that I would be interested. At the time I had just finished reading The Hunger Games triliogy, and looking at the cover - a girl playing soccer - I thought, 'I'm never going to read this...ever.'. But I forgot: Don't judge a book by it's cover...ever.

So I was suprised, after the first couple of pages (yes, I did start reading it...as a break from my paranormal/dystopian reading streak), that I was enjoying this read. Sure, it was about a girl who plays soccer and her boy troubles - but it was more than just that. It was about what some teenagers have to go through, how they feel and why.

I think the MAIN reason - apart from the main plot- that I liked this book was the way Cath Crowley writes. She uses so many similes, metaphors and adjectives - but not too many- that make the story even more beautiful and real. The chapters included views from all the different characters in the books- including the adults - which was confusing because at times they seemed to be in a conversation, but at other times they were thinking privately. BUT that didn't bother me at all or waver my reading - it was just different.

The characters were all great - whether terrible snobs, or amazing friends- and I loved how none of them were perfect. If you're looking for a realistic fiction teen read then I'd recommend this book. Definitely one I'll read more than once, and the next two books of this trilogy are near the top of my to-be-read shelf!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life and Times of Gracie Faltrain.