Denae Christine's Reviews > The Outcasts

The Outcasts by John Flanagan

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: epic-fantasy, listened-to
Read in April, 2012

John Flanagan is one of the few who can pull off omniscient pov really well (Eoin Colfer being another). Yet, he still knows how to keep a book centered around a few central characters. He knows better than to spend too many pages about side characters we don't care about (like Robert Jordan does).
At the same time, I found it hard to get into this book. Araluen is just more interesting than Scandia, richer. Perhaps because it's more similar to the usual medieval culture we read about, and Scandia is more viking-ish. And Rangers, and Halt and Will, are just my favorite.
Still, Hal and Thorn and Stig are all quite likeable, with their faults and defining characteristics. I liked hearing about them, and I cared to finish their stories, even as much as I'd rather have more Will.
Also, I can't decide whether all the "showing" in the book was to its credit or not. Something interesting happened in every scene, but I felt that the stakes never really picked up until the very end. No one was in danger. They didn't have to save the whole country. They just had to win. It didn't grab my attention as fast as other plots, but this book did set up the rest of the series quite nicely.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Outcasts.