Kathryn's Reviews > The Last Colony

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: science-fiction, 2012-reads
Recommended for: SF fans
Read in March, 2012, read count: 1

The Last Colony is the third novel set in the universe first created for Old Man's War. As The Ghost Brigades was quite different from Old Man's War, so too is The Last Colony different again. In this book, John Perry, the protagonist from Old Man's War, is starting a new colony; rather than focusing on battling aliens directly, this book revolves around politics, from the local level all the way up to the interstellar level. The threads hinted at in the last two books are picked up and finally resolved in this one.

Again, the world-building is the major strength. I'm also impressed by Scalzi's range; he's told three very different stories in the same universe with overlapping characters, places, and events.

My major knock on this book was that it was too short. By that, I mean that you almost have to read Zoe's Tale as a companion novel, because a couple of major plot threads get their resolution there. Specifically, I found myself saying toward the end of The Last Colony, "Wait, what happened to the werewolves?" and "Hey now, wait a minute. The Consu aren't going to let you just walk up and knock on their door." Combined with Zoe's Tale, neither of these are problems, but considering The Last Colony alone, I can't give five stars to a book that leaves such major issues insufficiently resolved.

I still recommend the book to SF fans, of course!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Colony.