Katy's Reviews > Hemlock

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Apr 02, 12

Read from April 01 to 02, 2012

4.5 - Hmmm... 4 or 5?

I finally found a werewolf book that I liked!!! Yes, this book is your typical, overplayed werewolf storyline - so yes, it is cliche and predictable. But there was just something about it - probably the LOVE TRIANGLE, there's your warning - that had me flying through the pages in the three hours it took me to read it, and no, I did not skim any of it.

WARNING: This review may have some minor spoilers because of the vague summary and because of the way Peacock wrote the book. I say they're minor spoilers because you find out pretty quick everything I am not hiding in the spoiler tags.

First the story. I admit it's not the greatest storyline ever. Like I said, it is your typical boy is a werewolf, girl finds out which means she is now in danger, boy tries to stay away from girl, and girl has to find out how she really feels about him and decide if he's worth hanging on to.

Having said that, there was more to just your typical book. There's a love triangle. Dum, dum, dum. Actually, it's more than just a triangle, but read the book to find out. And guess what? Not only is the boy human, but he's also going to be one of the hunters. Oh choices, choices.

So yes, the storyline isn't original and totally unique, but it was full of suspense as the mystery unraveled, and full of action.

What made me really love the book was the romance. Yes, I know it's not a good thing that the best thing a book has to offer is the romance, but too bad. I'm one of those who is not opposed to love triangles, as long as it's either there in book 1 and not just carelessly thrown in the sequel OR as long as an author is not trying to sell the concept of soulmates and then throw in a third party.

So I was tugged emotionally as Mac tried to make her choice. (view spoiler) I admit, I had a few squeals, and a few tears did land on my pillow.

I also liked that this book didn't leave us with a total cliffhanger (though it did break my heart), but made us look forward to book 2. Road trip!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hemlock.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ain (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ain Sunaim Haha.. Wow, I guess we do have different taste after all. But if I have to choose, I guess I go for Kyle too. Jason is such a jerk!

message 2: by Katy (last edited Apr 01, 2012 11:37PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katy Well I'm still bouncing between a 4 and a 5. I guess my next good book will help me determine the rating. LOL. And I admitted, it was the romance - not really the story per se - that had me hooked. And I, unlike you, don't mind love triangles. :P

And I wouldn't give up on Jason just yet. I have a feeling Peacock's going to make it a much tougher choice in the next two books.