Steve Evans's Reviews > The Russian Idea

The Russian Idea by Steve Evans

Apr 01, 12

(Review from the author)
Read in January, 2012

It would be churlish to write a review of a book I wrote, or to give it stars, though I may break down in the end and give it three as that is what I think all of them deserve, except maybe one...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Russian Idea.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond It would be unusual to give them three stars and I'd respect that. While I'm here, which one, then, do you find your best? (I assume you meant more stars for one and not less!)

message 2: by Steve (last edited May 05, 2012 06:53PM) (new) - added it

Steve Evans Hi Bryn - thanks for your message and the interest. I don't know - no one has read The Russian Idea really, so I don't know if it's boring or not. It's meant to be an easyread that takes in Berdyaev and Dostoevsky in a contemporary Russian context (oligarchs etc), so perhaps you would find that interesting. Evilheart, the oldest of the ones here, spins off the French novelist Celine. Savonarola's Bones has Shakespeare (and Celine!) and the Kleiber Monster is more directly about Nazism and neo-Nazism. Finally Demented is about terrorism and dementia and is set in Scotland, and again has no literary connection. Its "serious purpose" is about dementia and what it's like for the sufferer and those who care for them

In various ways I like them all actually and don't like recommending anything. But maybe you will get something from all that.

As I write this "a note to authors" tells me it's a bad idea to engage with negative reviews...I can understand this, but would like to say that I won't be offended if you don't like any of them, or indeed all of them. For your interest I would give you a copy - if I knew how to do it! (I think that's the coupon bizzo but I've never figured it out. I will try in exchange anyway to read yours which makes me feel nervous; you seem to have done so much research and so much thinking! Anyway I'll buy it off smashwords so you get the biggest cut, or I think that's how it works. Have a good one!

message 3: by Bryn (new)

Bryn Hammond Thanks for these descriptions, I can figure out which one to try first. I took samples of your entire works when we met; as I say, I like 'serious purpose in a popular genre'... I mean, you can't get much more lowbrow in subject than Genghis Khan (to common perception) and yet I have serious writerly purposes. So I am in sympathy with your attempts.

You might guess I'll go the Dostoyevsky first, since we share that passion. Took me a while to work out the coupon bizzo too, but hey, if we purchase each other's we're square.

And let's make that a pact: we'll be honest with each other. I have proven to my full satisfaction, anyhow, that poor reviews provoke as much interest as raves. A writer who likes Dostoy and Shakespeare can't be lost on me, that's my theory. PS. and honestly, if you can't get past chapter one, that's fine too.

message 4: by Steve (new) - added it

Steve Evans Bryn wrote: "Thanks for these descriptions, I can figure out which one to try first. I took samples of your entire works when we met; as I say, I like 'serious purpose in a popular genre'... I mean, you can't g..."

That's a deal Bryn.