Cheyenne Teska's Reviews > When You Were Mine

When You Were Mine by Rebecca Serle

Apr 23, 12

bookshelves: for-review, own, reviewed
Read from April 18 to 19, 2012

Though many of us have been required to read Romeo and Juliet at least once throughout our lifetimes, most seem to forget about Rosaline, Romeo's first love. When You Were Mine tells the story of Romeo and Juliet from Rosaline's point of view, reminding us that the story has always been more about heartbreak than love.

For the most part, the story was enjoyable. The reader is given modern characters and situations, which many can probably relate to. Rosaline Caplet is just another teenage girl with high hopes of being able to have a relationship with her best friend, Rob Montag. He's always been there, knows everything about her, and their families have been best friends for as long as they can remember. A romantic relationship between them only seems inevitable. When things are finally beginning to go somewhere with him, Rose's cousin, Juliet, comes back to town after 10 years. Whatever Juliet wants, Juliet gets...and Rob is no exception.

To put it nicely, I didn't care for all. Her arrival was upsetting, but even more so, her heartless plan to ruin her own cousin's happiness set me over the edge. That being said, this story is more about betrayal than anything. Rose not only loses hope and a part of her family, but she also loses her best friend. Now, this wasn't all Juliet's fault. Rob seemed to have been blinded by everything and he got on my nerves just as much as Juliet did. Some of the things he said to Rose when he finally confronted her about his new relationship made me roll my eyes, but that's exactly the way the original Romeo and Juliet were--blinded by infatuation.

Rebecca Serle did a great job with this retelling, showing another side of the story, and touching on topics that everyone who's had their heart broken can relate to. Overall, the story was a wonderfully written roller coaster of emotions. Sure, everyone knows how the play ends, but this story also deals with how to get over love and loss with an ending that will make your heart swell with more joy than imagined.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Were Mine.

04/18/2012 page 77