Kristine Hansen's Reviews > Shades of Truth

Jul 03, 2012

bookshelves: christian, young-adult
Read from July 02 to 03, 2012

** I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway **

It's been a long time since I've read a Christian YA book that wasn't sappy, unrealistic, or plot poor. That's why I was SOOOOO delighted with Sadie.

We have your typical new-girl-in-town story, but with a not so typical twist of a chaotic homelife and an entire town against her before she even unpacks her bags. Her dad's job and the conflict of hunting versus preserving the local bear population is unique. Then when I read her mother had Chronic Fatigue Syndrome I gave a VERY happy squeal of delight. Finally someone talking openly about an illness that half the medical community still argues isn't even real. AND the author portrayed it accurately, especially in noting how it affects Sadie's life and her relationship with her parents.

The Christian part? Yep that's there too. Minus the alter call and plan of salvation. We have a girl with a hard life and lots of questions, who is just starting out on the road to answers. Again, very real. And also very well done.

I was thrilled with this book. And will definitely be looking for the rest in the series. Thank you Naomi for writing a book that rings true and is entertaining all at the same time. I will recommend this book very highly!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shades of Truth.

07/02/2012 page 112