Kirk Plankey's Reviews > The Essential Schopenhauer: Essays & Selections from The World as Will & Representation

The Essential Schopenhauer by Arthur Schopenhauer

May 15, 12

Read from April 01 to May 15, 2012

I have long wanted to read Schopenhauer and other than being familiar with his ideas in general this is my first real reading of his works. I was not dissapointed. Schopenhauer not only has a penetrating intellect he is also extremely honest. He was able to live on the money passed down from his father so he was beholden to no one academic or otherwise. This I believe enabled him to be much more honest than many philosophers who need to keep certain folks happy with what they say for their jobs sake or that of the publisher. If you want a very good overall introduction to Shopenhauer then this work is your ticket. His language is of course dated as well as many of his views, being shaded in views of late 18th and early 18th century Germany area; but I think that this also adds to the charm and honesty of his work.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Essential Schopenhauer.