Cait's Reviews > The Virgin Suicides

The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides

1419944
Dec 03, 11

bookshelves: 1001, owned, favorites, read-in-2011, ucked-fay-up-way, cold-weather-reading
Read from November 20 to December 03, 2011, read count: 1

This was my first book by Eugenides and one of the best books I've read all year. It was haunting and heartbreaking. Normally I get annoyed when I read a book that "tells" rather than "shows", but for once it was actually crucial to the story. The first person plural narration was brilliant. I felt like I was right there with the boys, peering out windows and watching the Lisbon girls, feeling at once captivated and mystified by them. There's one scene in particular (at a Homecoming dance) that made my chest ache, made me wish so badly that things would turn out differently than the inevitable outcome I had been told to expect from the very first page. No such luck. This book is a new favorite, and one that stays with you long after you finish reading it. I look forward to reading his other two.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Virgin Suicides.

11/20/2011 page 93
12/03/2011 page 175
70.0% "It's 1:15 in the morning and I desperately need sleep, but I don't want to put this down." 2 comments