Amanda Delegram's Reviews > One Crazy Summer

F_50x66
Apr 19, 12

bookshelves: eced-221
Read from April 01 to 11, 2012

Summary: One Crazy Summer is a story about three sister who travel from New York to California to spend the summer with their biological mother who they have no relationship with. They are in for a real eye opening experience during their summer vacations and are shocked at how their mother is nothing like they expected.

Critique: The story is written well and fallows the standards outline in chapter 2. The author does a really good job at painting you a pictures of what is happening in the story with out going into excessive detail. The characters are very believable and also very interesting. The conflicts of the story are very sad, scary and exciting. They keep you very interested in what is going to happen next. I really enjoy the girls experiences in the story. The story is very fairly relevant. Young readers would be able to relate to parts of the story but not necessary all of them.

I enjoyed the book! I was very shocked at some of the problems the girls faced and it made me very sad to see them not connected with their mother. I relate to the arguing the girls do with each other because I have two sisters and we acted like the girls in the story a few times. I would use this book in my class to help my students understand some of the struggles that African Americans have overcome and introduce them to different things in a new culture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Crazy Summer.