J.'s Reviews > Letters from a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions about Christianity

Letters from a Skeptic by Gregory A. Boyd

Aug 18, 12

Read in March, 2012

A fascinating concept, Letters from a Skeptic is an exchange of letters between a father living in Florida and his pastor son in Minnesota. The father has his doubts about Christianity, but he wants to believe because he fears the repercussions of not believing. In his letters, he asks many of the same questions many doubters voice: why does God allow bad things to happen to good people, as well as the many inconsistencies chronicled in the bible.

The author of the book, Dr. Gregory Boyd, patiently answers his father’s questions, and slowly the father comes to believe but can’t quite get over the top.

Ultimately, Dr. Boyd states that belief is a leap of faith, and sadly, his final argument is one many non-believers have heard: Wouldn’t you much rather commit and learn, after death, that it’s all just a conspiracy of the church than not believe and find it is all true? At that point, Dad commits to Christ and spends his remaining years safe in the knowledge that he will find his reward in heaven.

Well-presented, if a bit too pat, Dr. Boyd brings good arguments to bear against the claims of non-believers, even if he is, like anyone on this side of the Great Divide, unable to present proof positive that the bible is a perfect document, to be taken as, well, gospel. But no one can know what exists on the other side—an anthropomorphic deity clad in a white robe waiting to judge us for the life we’ve led, a spiritual realm where we are reunited with family and loved ones, or that dust to dust means just that. At the end of the day, just as we leave for work in the morning with the expectation that we will return, it’s just a leap of faith.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Letters from a Skeptic.