papalbina's Reviews > Finnikin of the Rock

Finnikin of the Rock by Melina Marchetta

Apr 02, 12

bookshelves: aussie, my-dearest-ones, in-english, favorites

oh, boy, i have felt in love again with a melina marchetta story... oh, boy...

melina marchetta's superpower (at least, having effect on me) is that after having read a book written by her, i feel an immense urge to write myself such a story with characters like finnikin, evanjalin, froi, francesca, josephine, jacob,... because i felt in love with every single one of them and i need to recreate such wonderful people on my own.

i haven't read epic fantasy for a long time and i'm not longer used to the happenings in this kind of books, but i could say that finnikin is more simple than other books in this genre. but since it is meant for YA, i think it is a fantastic introduction in the genre. World building and argument are kept simple, which could be thought as a flaw, but for me it was refreshing and reminded me to one of my favourite epic sagas: belgarath.

i could try now to tell about the characters, but i'm quite speechless. i just felt in love with them. i can't tell much more. perhaps you have to try it yourself to understand me.

when i finished the book last night, i felt the need to start it again... another melina marchetta's superpower, probably.

if you haven't met finnikin, evanjalin, froi, trevanion and sir topher yet, i don't know what you're waiting for... seriously...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finnikin of the Rock.

Quotes papalbina Liked

Melina Marchetta
“Be prepared for the worst, my love, for it lives next door to the best.”

Melina Marchetta
“Sir Topher finally looked up. “Because any hope beyond that, my boy, would be too much. I feared we would drown in it.”
"Then I choose to drown,” Finnikin said. “In hope. Rather than float into nothing.”
tags: hope

Melina Marchetta
“This hand says you spend the rest of your life with me," he said, holding out his left hand, "and this one says I spend the rest of my life with you. Choose."

She bit her lip, tears welling in her eyes. She took both of his hands in hers and he shuddered. "I will die protecting you," he says.

There was a look of dismay on her face. "Just like a man of this kingdom, Finnikin. Talking of death, yours or mine, is not a good way to begin a-"

Isaboe gave a small gasp when he leaned forward, his lips an inch away from hers. "I will die for you," he whispered.

She cupped his face in her hands. "But promise me you'll live first. Because nothing we are about to do is going to be easy and I need you by my side.”

Melina Marchetta
“Tell me about the farm," she pleaded as drops of blood began to appear on her hand.
"The farm?"
"The farm that Finnikin the peasant would have lived on with his bride."
"Evanjalin. That was her name. Did I mention that?"
She laughed through a sob. "No, you didn't."
"They would plant rows upon rows of wheat and barley, and each night they would sit under the stars to admire what they owned. Oh, and they would argue. She believes the money made would be better spent on a horse, and he believes they need a new barn. But then later they would forget all their anger and he would hold her fiercely and never let her go."
"And he'd place marigolds in her hair?" she asked.
He clasped her hands against his and watched her blood seep through the lines of his skin. "And he would love her until the day he died," he said.”