Audrey's Reviews > Abundance: A Novel of Marie Antoinette

Abundance by Sena Jeter Naslund

Aug 21, 08

bookshelves: historical-fiction
Read in August, 2008

Marie Antoinette has intrigued me for years and I have read countless books about her, and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed this one. Told in diary form, this book provides a rare, intimate insight into the life of the Queen; her most private thoughts and feelings from the moment she steps onto French land at the young age of fourteen, to the moment she meets her tragic fate. Although it is fiction, it's clear that the author did her homework and based much of what she wrote on actual documentations and letters written by Marie Antoinette herself. I loved the light in which Naslund portrayed the highly misunderstood Queen (no, she did NOT really utter the words, "Let them eat cake"). Every sentence in this book is beautiful, poetic, graceful, and carefully constructed, making it even more of a pleasure to read and one of the main reasons why I enjoyed it so much. Although towards the end I found myself growing a bit impatient, as it IS lengthier than need be, overall I liked it and would recommend it to those who enjoy historical fiction.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Abundance.