Deborah Biancotti's Reviews > Flowers in the Attic

Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews

Aug 04, 14

bookshelves: writer-women, books-i-read-at-highschool

I just could not work out how to 'rate' these books. The first one, from memory, is deeply disturbing and powerfully provocative, as well as compulsively readable. But it's an awful book. What I remember most is the physical sensation of dread it provoked in my gut, the nausea induced by the gothic uses of incest and murder. This book has a bodily shape, which so few books achieve. But, again, it's AWFUL. I remember the other books I read in the series barely at all, but THIS book I remember because it was AWFUL, and forced me into a position of complicity because I couldn't stop reading it. I was 15 & in thrall, creeped out by the book & myself.

So. How many stars is that? ;)
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flowers in the Attic.

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean Llewellyn Williams We need some kind of Schroedinger's rating system, so you can simultaneously give books like this four and one stars.

I read it in my 20s and was similarly appalled/enthralled. Would never read it again. What brought that on?

message 2: by Deborah (new) - added it

Deborah Biancotti Sean wrote: "I read it in my 20s and was similarly appalled/enthralled. Would never read it again."

No, goodness no. VC Andrews popped up on some other Goodreads page I was reading (about Margery Allignham) & I was thrown back into a memory of that particular stomach-clenching sensation that this book induced. Plus, the universe is just generally conspiring to remind me of books I read decades ago. :)

message 1: by Sean (new)

Sean Llewellyn Williams Whew. :-)