Lauren's Reviews > Speaking Treason Fluently: Anti-Racist Reflections From an Angry White Male

Speaking Treason Fluently by Tim Wise

Sep 20, 08

Read in September, 2008

So it took me a few weeks to get through Tim Wise's latest book. While I generally hang on every word he types, I found that 359 pages of anti-racist essays can become heavy on one's heart. He maintain a tone of righteous indignation for all 359 pages, which is both a credit to his passion for the subject and a little grating on the nerves. I closed the book very glad that I had read it, however - he writes on topics as diverse as the presidential race, steroid use in baseball and the unwise adoration for the movie Crash - always bringing a new, much-needed perspective to conversations which most would assume are all played out. This is a must-read (if, perhaps, not all in one sitting) for white folks everywhere. The sooner we all recognize our white privilege and the devastating ways it injures us and folks of color, the sooner we can get around to the business of healing racial divides and creating a more just society for the future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speaking Treason Fluently.