Preet's Reviews > The Way We Fall

The Way We Fall by Megan Crewe

Apr 01, 12

Read in February, 2012

I think the idea of a virus suddenly attacking people may be one of the creepiest ideas ever. I know movies and some books have covered something similar before, but that's initially what attracted me to requesting this book. The setting of a small Canadian island was such an amazing setting to add to the creep factor of this story because of the seclusion it brings on. Though the book had a really slow almost painful start, I enjoyed how realistic the plot felt.

Kaelyn, our main girl, is written to be somewhat of a loner. I don't know if I'd say that I found her character to be all that believable, but I wished I had felt more of a connection to her. That was a main issue with the book for me; I never felt a great connection to any of the characters. I wanted to know more about the secondary characters and never got the chance. I know it'd be hard to do in the way the book was written, but I feel like it could've helped a bit.

As I mentioned, the letter format this book has only a main character perspective so there's a lot left to understand throughout the book. I really hated that the relationship to Leo was never really explained. I also couldn't tell at points if she was writing a letter or diary, so that inconsistency somewhat distracted me at times. Though the way the story is written from the very beginning of the infections, is really amazing. It sort of reads like a horror movie. We're able to see how the virus begins to affect people and how the desperation in town sets in.

Overall the idea was pretty good for a new type of story, but the beginning being so slow really put a damper on the rest of the book for me. I don't know if this book will have others to follow, but with the number of points yet to be resolved and sudden ending, the book wasn't anything I can get excited about to recommend you to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Way We Fall.