Rachel Hartman's Reviews > Bleeding Violet

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

Apr 01, 2012

Read from April 01 to 11, 2012

Very interesting. You know the book I want to compare this to? Imaginary Girls. Not that the writing was anything near as haunting and lyrical, but because they both employ magic realism (though it's closer to fantasy here)(or maybe even SF - are those alternate universes, or what?) in a psychologically symbolic way, and both deal with uncomfortably intense family relationships.

This had some severely grotesque moments, and there's one scene that I want to say crossed a line for me, and yet I kept reading. Maybe it crossed the place where I self-consciously feel a line should have been, or where it once was and no longer is. Dunno. This is one I have to think about some more before reviewing fully.

And you know that for me, that's a GOOD thing. Thinky thinky thinky!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bleeding Violet.

04/01/2012 page 129
28.0% "I have a feeling people's reactions to this hinge entirely on whether they can stomach the narrator. So far I can, but there are moments where she's pushing it."

Steph Sinclair This book was a strange one. Very imaginative!

message 2: by Phoebe (new)

Phoebe but because they both employ magic realism (though it's closer to fantasy here)(or maybe even SF - are those alternate universes, or what?) in a psychologically symbolic way, and both deal with uncomfortably intense family relationships.

. . . sold!