Matt's Reviews > Sermons and Lectures both blank and relentless

Sermons and Lectures both blank and relentless by Matt Hart

M_50x66
Apr 01, 12

Read in March, 2012

I think this is the Matt Hart book I've been waiting for since _Who's Who Vivid_, a book where the wild emotional flights of Hart's ecstatic flights are confidently rooted in a sense of community, even if that community is fragile and provisional.

That community, as it turns out, is that of elemental punk rock, the kind of midwestern stuff that swirls around D Boon and the Minutemen. Hart's book definitely rubs shoulders with Craig Finn and the Hold Steady in terms of exploring and residing in the politics of that moment in the early eighties, and what it meant then and what it means now.

The poems, there are five here, though really, I mostly read this as a whole bunch more than five untitled poems that are in five sections, concern the difficulties of finding transcendence in everyday life-- walking the dog, teaching, being a parent-- unless it's one of those poems that is about how the everyday world bowls you over in the midst of those things. Hart is a poet of extreme, heightened emotional moods, moods that move you outside your self into something larger.

This book didn't just show me Hart moving into those altered states-- at its best it moved me there, too. Great stuff, highly recommended.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sermons and Lectures both blank and relentless.