Nath's Reviews > Blame It on Paris

Blame It on Paris by Laura Florand

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: contemporary, memoir, read-2007, romance
Read in January, 2007 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** 4.5/5 (A-)

Review: Oh man, I really liked this book! You basically follow Laura and Sébastien's realtionship, the good and the obstacles in a very humoristic way. I really liked the relationship - esp. since it's a real one- but to see the culture differences between Laura and Sébastien, as well as the two families was quite hilarious and entertaining.

Characters - I have to admit that Laura sometimes annoyed me with her insecurities, but given this is a "real" story and not fiction, I can understand and sympathize with Laura's insecurities. Seriously, I'd have acted the same way :D Other than that, Laura really has a strong voice and her thinking pattern is quite unique, which provides lots of funny moments and many laughs. Since this is a first-person novel, this is Laura's story and so, it's harder to comment on Sébastien. I liked his personality and he can be very romantic at times... In addition, if he looks anything like on the cover, yummy. Laura sure is a lucky woman.

In addition, both families were highly entertaining! It's funny how the dynamics of both families are different and the same at the same time. Both Laura and Sébastien are lucky people.

Story & Writing - As I said, Laura has a very strong voice and shares her thoughts and feelings with the readers very well. Since the relationship spans on a few years, the pacing was very important and Ms. Florand did very well. Weeks and months passed rather quickly without the readers realizing; it didn't get stuck, it flowed well and this was very enjoyable. Also, it's quite nice to see that in real life, a couple doesn't fall in love and get engaged within a week :P

The Cover - It's a really nice cover; however, it'd had been more fun and realistic if the girl had chestnut hair instead :D

Am I keeping this book? YES! This is a definite keeper.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blame It on Paris.