Chris's Reviews > Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power

Drift by Rachel Maddow

Apr 02, 12

Read from April 01 to 02, 2012

I spent six years on active duty in the Air Force and I dealt with some of the material the author talks about towards the end of the book regarding America's nuclear program. I want to commend the author on her research, she is spot-on with the facts and gives IMO an accurate view of what is wrong and how to fix it.

The author does a very good job of showing how the military drifted to what it is now where civilians don't feel the burden of war because the President (all recent modern Presidents, not just Obama) shield us from the loss of lives, the separations that military families go through, and the heartache of war because it's bad PR (among many other reasons, not just what I've mentioned). And if only a small percentage of American's have to feel that burden and the whole country isn't involved like it was in WWII, than the population is more allowing of the decade long mess that we are still involved in today, or recently with Iraq.

I learned so much from this book on complaints I had while I was in the service, like why are contractors doing the work that we can do ourselves? This complaint was shared with many of my co-workers. Some contractors were doing the exact same job that somebody in the military was doing with double the paycheck. This book tells us why it came to be that way.

I can't recommend this book enough for anybody currently serving in the military. It is very unbiased, very informing, and only through awareness can better decisions be made.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drift.

04/01/2012 page 49
show 3 hidden updates…

Comments (showing 1-5)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

message 5: by Kaz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaz I picked up this book because I was interested in any topics about nuclear arms and related programs. Now, your second paragraph from the end really got my attention because I had the same question. I am very much looking forward to start reading this book now:)

Chris @Kaz At the end of the book the author mentions that if she ever decided to write a sequel, she would focus solely on the nuclear program. I am happy with what she included in the book, but it would be interesting to read the stories she researched and left out.

message 3: by Andy (new)

Andy Why not Obama? Has he not hidden or ignored the sacrifices, and been just as willing as earlier presidents to get the U.S. Involved in undeclared regional conflicts in which we have no national interest? Of course he has. Why give him the pass?

Chris It's supposed to read "not just Obama." Apparently I didn't save my edit.

Phyllis Thanks for your review. I was hoping someone with recent military service would review the book.