John's Reviews > Banewreaker

M_50x66
Sep 18, 08

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, high-fantasy
Read in September, 2008, read count: 1

I really enjoyed this book. Carey presents a deep and rich mythology that had me reading the prologue over and over again because there was so much buried in that that I kept finding something new. That is not to say that it was difficult to read, just that there were deep, juicy layers.

The characters are well drawn and I could always tell who was speaking evening without the context of the containing text. Where the real brilliance is in that the central conflict between the two sides is not good vs evil but, as a matter of perception, good vs good.

Where the brilliance turns into something captivating is that Carey actually pulls it off. I found all the characters extremely sympathetic and even likable, which is extraordinary. I highly recommend this book and I'll be reading the sequel, Godslayer, shortly.

Here's the caveat, though, my wife and a co-worker both gave up on this book (yes I know this is my review and not theirs but bear with me) because they did not find the mythology and characters captivating. I found the characterization, the concept and the execution captivating but your mileage may vary. That said, I'm right and they're wrong!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Banewreaker.