Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids's Reviews > I Hunt Killers

I Hunt Killers by Barry Lyga

Apr 01, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-own, 2012-release, mundie-moms-reviews, 2012-100-book-challenge
Read in October, 2012

I am a complete wuss when it comes to horror movies/books or books that have a lot of violence in them. As you can imagine this is one book that's intrigued me based on all the things I've heard about from friends of mine, but not enough for me to pick up it. With it being Halloween I for some unknown reason decided to put my big girl pants on and sit down and read this book. WOW, not at all what I was excepting, and yet it was. Horror fans, and fans of thrillers will enjoy this one. There's gore, violence, and there's a slight undertone of humor in this book due to the story's main character Jazz. After all, when your dear or dad is a notorious serial killer who's murdered way more people than you can count on both hands, you'd have to have some sort of warped sense of humor to cope with all of it.

The thing that surprised me about this book was Barry's writing. It's dark, it's humor filled and his character is not at all what I was excepting. Jazz is a teener who's grown up in the shadow of his father, who's now behind bars. Jazz surprisingly is a character I immediately liked and wanted to get to know more. He's a charmer, he's smart, and a little broken in the sense that thanks to his dad, he's forever on the police radar. Jazz is nothing like his father. His struggle with trying to over come the automatic assumptions, and accusations that come his way because of his dad, and his quest to prove he's good by working the police to solve the mystery behind the latest serial killer, in many ways make him a character that broke my heart, and had me cheering for him all at the same time.

The humor part of the story is what hooked me as a reader. Jazz's inner voice is at times laugh out loud funny. While the humor kept me reading, the darker, violent scenes almost had me putting this book down. I give huge kudos to Barry though for not shying away from taking readers into the mind of this story's killer. These scenes are violent and disturbing, and Barry doesn't sugar coat what's going on. Barry's writing is one that balances both the humor and dark side of this story well. A word of caution, this is NOT a book I'd recommend to younger readers. It's graphic, there's a lot of violence, language, and contains things I don't think are suitable for young readers. I feel the content in this book is one older readers have been more exposed to via the news, tv shows, and movies, and might have an easier time reading about vs those who haven't. If this were a movie I'd definitely be to much of a wuss to watch it. haha.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Hunt Killers.

Gabrielle Carolina Nash Great review, k!

Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids Gabrielle Carolina wrote: "Great review, k!"

Thank you Gabrielle!