Rebecca's Reviews > The Perfect Poison

The Perfect Poison by Amanda Quick

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: fantasy, historical, mystery, romance
Read in April, 2012

In a Victorian England in which a small percentage of the population is endowed with various 'psychical' gifts, psychic botanist Lucinda is notorious for being a loose woman and an unconvicted lethal poisoner (as a matter of fact, she's neither). When she hires irascible, brooding, psychic private investigator Caleb Jones--of the famous psychic family which controls the Arcane Society--to discover who stole from her a rare, hallucinatory fern, things heat up in more ways than one.

My public library branch is small, and so is the choice of audiobooks, so I often end up with things I wouldn't normally choose. I'm not a fan of steamy, schmoopy romances (give me the wit and restraint of Georgette Heyer any day), so I fast-forwarded through the melodramatic, purple prose of the love scenes (in which no mention of pregnancy or birth control ever features). The rest of the book, however, was pretty good. I liked the idea of a psychic botanist, and of course a mystery surrounding a cabal of psychic villains that's been growing for 200 years is kind of cool. I also liked that Caleb never really rescued Lucinda from all her requisite peril--she managed it herself, even if she couldn't manage to keep her legs closed.

I have two quibbles with the production of the audiobook, however. The reader sometimes lost track of who was speaking, so Lucinda said a lot of things in Caleb's voice, which was disconcerting. Second, they opened and closed each CD with the kind of kicky, adult-contemporary music that plays behind airplane announcements. Would it have been so hard to find something that evoked a mysterious Victorian atmosphere rather than "Your seat backs and tray tables must be in the upright and locked position"?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Perfect Poison.