Annie's Reviews > Fate's Edge

Apr 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: 2012, fantasy, romance
Read in April, 2012

I picked up the first book in this series because I was looking for a fantasy book and I like stories about atypical families, which kept me going even though the fantasy turned out fairly typical. I quit reading the second book quickly -- I like the setting of the rough-and-tumble strip of land between magic and mundane, but the characters left something to be desired, and I gave up on the series.

But then there was this third book, sitting on the shelf at the library week after week, free to at least try. It was worth giving this paranormal romance series a second chance. I liked Audrey and Kaldar, who (for the most part) weren't the gritty warrior types or super-magical users that the Gordon writing team (pen name: Ilona Andrews) usually specializes in. They had to use their brains and charm to get out of tricky situations as they're hunted by a merciless team of killers.

The story of the two boys who tag along for the ride wasn't too bad, either. They didn't add to the development of the main characters as much as they could have. They've been in every book in the series so far, and it's obvious that they're being groomed for their own romantic adventures in the future. It made them feel separate from the main emotional story, even though they're involved in the action pretty much every step of the way.

I'm not dying for the next novel, but if I spot the series on the library shelf once again, I won't hesitate as long as I did with "Fate's Edge."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fate's Edge.

03/08/2016 marked as: 2012