Brenda Whitner's Reviews > The Bungalow

The Bungalow by Sarah Jio

Apr 01, 12

Read on April 01, 2012

This is my first time reading Sarah Jio. I really enjoyed the book and have purchased her first novel The Violets of March. This was a love story / mystery. Anne is engaged to be married to Gerard Godfrey and it is just a few weeks until their wedding. At their engagement party her best friend Kitty announces that she is joining the war efforts to become a nurse overseas. Anne decides that she can’t let her best friend do this on her own and she calls off the wedding and sets off to Bora Bora for a year.

Once in Bora Bora she meets this soldier named Westery and they find this bungalow that they call theirs. This is where Anne and Westery fall in love. However, Atea, a young girl from the island, tells Anne that the bungalow is cursed. In the bungalow there is a painting from a famous artist that they protect so that no one will steal it and promise to protect the painting.

Then one night there is a murder and this drives a wedge between the two lovers. Anne’s year is up and it is time for her to return home and Westery is going to Europe to fight. What will happen to the two lovers.

This book was captivating. The story was excellent. I did not want to leave it. It was well written. I loved the characters. Even though she cheated on Gerard which I don’t advocate, I still felt bad for her loss. The ending of the book was a little to tidy for me. She tied up all loose ends. Didn’t leave anything left for you to wonder about. Sometimes I like to be left with the mystery of a story, the wonder of it. It makes the story endearing to me. But she tied everything up, even the painting.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bungalow.