Prashant's Reviews > The Yellow Wall-Paper

Apr 01, 2012

bookshelves: e-book
Read in April, 2012

This was terrifying !!

More than the queer behavior of the lady and the disturbing descriptions of the patterns of the wallpaper, I was worrying myself with the way the guy treated his wife. Throughout the story the husband of the lady was trying to be very caring and gentle but her problems were much more than he could have imagined.

Every time she felt the strange vibes of the room and noticed the queer way the patterns on the wallpaper convoluted, she asked him for help but the very rational and intelligent husband took it lightly and let it pass.

The woman had complete belief in the intelligence and love of her husband but it was not enough as she ended up in pain.

"The Burden of Knowledge"- when you over react or underplay things because you have too much knowledge and experience related to the events. This may prove fatal when things go beyond your rationale.

I can't help but compare my behavior to the husband's. I don't know how being "a man of the world" he could have acted otherwise.

But this story did teach me one thing "there is always an other side of the story and it's possible that it's much more unforgiving than you think it is."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Yellow Wall-Paper.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree! It was terrifying!