Eleanor's Reviews > Blue Nights

Blue Nights by Joan Didion

Apr 01, 12

I had something to say about this book when I'd first finished it but now it's been months.

it's the only book I've read by Joan didion. I don't always love the writing but it is mostly kind of.. beautiful. a lot of writers trying to do the same would probably end up with something flowery/over-written... I think it'd be terrible to be in a creative writing class with someone trying to imitate her writing style.

this is a... compelling book about grief? compelling is the wrong word. but what really stood out to me in this book is how much class and money were (are?) wrapped up in grieving. I sort of thought that grieving and loss would be something a bit more universal that, er.. transcends class boundaries. in this memoir, though, grief is so wrapped up in nostalgia is so wrapped up in money and materialism (at least brand names) that with very few pages I was reminded of how I didnt have much in common with the author. maybe that makes sense in a way because grief really is private. but so many proper nouns reminded me of product placement in tv shows..

I had some choice quotes picked out but of course lost them and returned the book to the library months ago..
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blue Nights.