Phil Rice's Reviews > The Shack: Where Tragedy Confronts Eternity

The Shack by Wm. Paul Young

M_50x66
Apr 01, 12

Read on April 01, 2012

I actually bought this book for my wife as a gift prior to hearing or reading any of the hoopla surrounding it. Once she had mentioned to some people she was reading it, she got mixed reviews - some really enjoyed it, and others practically called the author a heretic. After she read it, she asked me to read it, too, because she was curious what my reaction would be.

As with any Christian book outside the Bible, the author is obviously sharing their interpretation of Scripture and God. Even those of us who call ourselves believers have disagreements on what the Bible means in certain passages, so I am not surprised at all that we would disagree about books written on these subjects.

I will say that while I don't agree with exactly everything in the way the author presented the underlying truths in the Bible, the imagery of how God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit work together in our lives was fascinating. The main interactions that the main character, Mack, has with each of them I thought was very interesting and even uplifting.

I will only say that you shouldn't let others' opinions decide what you should and should not read. You should read what you choose to, and then decide for yourself if the book is in accordance with your own views. Even with some minor inconsistencies with some of my own beliefs, I would still recommend this book for someone grieving a loss, trying to understand how to relate to God if He seems distant, or grasping how each part of God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit work in our lives.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shack.

04/01/2012 page 210