A.E. Shaw's Reviews > Wizard and Glass

Wizard and Glass by Stephen King

Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: 2012
Read from April 01 to 02, 2012

Vastly frustrating. Incredibly, unbearably long, slathered in detail and drivel that felt like trying to choke down a wheelbarrow full of sawdust. The 'Blaine the Mono' stuff was horrible, horrible, oh horrible and yes, I get it, I could've just put the book down but I am going to finish this series, I am, and I am going to read every damn page of it.

Roland's backstory maddened me with its nature, the plethora of characters I really didn't care for, the action and drama of it all as visceral as indigestion, and slightly less enjoyable than that.

But. And I'm so glad that there's a but. The end has flashes of the great and grand imagination of Stephen King, and just when I was about to throw the whole thing out of the window (very lucky I didn't: it could easily kill a mammoth on impact, it's so sodding big) I found myself grinning at the sheer out-of-the-blue, the funny turn of phrase, the bizarre and beautiful descrptions that came up out of nowhere to punctuate the final chapter. And I took a deep breath and picked up the next book. Thank goodness.

I utterly get that, for King, this might've been the 'quantity over quality', as well as the 'all that and the kitchen sink' of series. That he's so up front about that in the introductions is what lets me give the books a pass on things that, from other writers, I'd pronounce unthinkably stupid.

However. I really, really hope the next book intrigues and delights me a bit more than this. It wouldn't be hard.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wizard and Glass.