Cheryl's Reviews > Mennonite in a Little Black Dress: A Memoir of Going Home

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen

1976749
Apr 01, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: memoir, non-fiction, biography, biography-woman, humor, religion, religion-mennonite, review-gr
Recommended to Cheryl by: Friends of the Library
Read in March, 2012

There were some hilarious that painted a word picture that still sticks with me and those are the parts that I truly enjoyed and forced my daughter to listen to me read aloud. Wonder how long it will be before I can go to Kohls without laughing!

Whether the author appreciates her family or not, personally, her parents and sister sound like people I'd enjoy as friends and neighbors. Can't say the same about the author though. At first, I really was a bit disgusted with the author's disrespect but the more I read about her mother, the more I suspect the author's mother has sufficient self-respect and humor to roll her eyes and still love this self-centered, naval-gazing and somewhat immature daughter. There is still hope.

The story of the Catholic priest was so touching and also lingers in my thoughts.

Unfortunately, the hilarious and tender parts were combined with a hefty dose of self-pity over the bitterness of a failed marriage along with substantial dissing of the faith of her parents. It is a fun book if you can occasionally shrug and ignore the 'tell all the dirt about the louse' and 'I am more enlightened than everyone else' stuff.

Sensitive readers: (view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mennonite in a Little Black Dress.