Sarah's Reviews > Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back

Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo

F_50x66
Apr 01, 12

bookshelves: christian-thought
Read on April 01, 2012

My overall feeling with this book is one of annoyance. Colton's accounts and imagery, while not necessarily untrue, could easily have stemmed from his saturation in church life, stories, prayers, and listening to conversations from the adults in his life. His visions of Heaven are very literal (complete with wings and blue-sashed white robes) and make the afterlife seem really 2-D and simplistic to me. Furthermore, Colton says that the women get to stand by with the children and watch Jesus and the men fight the final showdown against Satan and his demons... not the most politically correct observation.

Todd claims that Colton could not possibly have known about Sonja's miscarriage, but also says that the family had told their oldest daughter, Cassie. Who's to say that the 7 year-old girl didn't mention it to her little brother?

I was interested by Colton saying that he recognized the photo of his younger grandfather when he had supposedly never seen such a photo before (although he certainly could have). Also, I liked the story of the prodigy child-painter and thought it was interesting that Colton had such a reaction to her painting of Jesus... oddly, I found Akaine's story more compelling than that of the Burpo family, as she was supposedly seeing visions of Heaven while being raised in an Atheistic home.

I'm not saying kids can't have a special connection to God and His realm... I've had some firsthand experience with a 2 year-old child who had such peaceful, unearthly, calm, detailed assertions about seeing angels that I really did wonder what it was she was seeing. I just found this book to be more frustrating than anything else.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heaven is for Real.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I could not agree with you more. I was actually extremely frustrated reading this book.

Sarah Yeah :-( I really wanted to like it. And I come from a Christian background and believe in God, so I can only imagine how a reader unaccustomed to Christian thought and imagery would react. And you know, for the sake of argument, the story could be true. I just didn't like the presentation and found myself doubting it pretty sincerely. I'm glad it was meaningful to some people though.