Barry Hutchison's Reviews > Fear

Fear by Michael  Grant

Apr 01, 2012

it was ok
Read in March, 2012

I was a massive fan of the first couple of books in the GONE series, but Grant seems to be running out of ideas. The tension from previous books was completely absent in this one, and it felt like a filler episode of a long-running soap rather than the next instalment in a blockbuster teen book series.

The only thing that made this books even vaguely interesting was that things have started to change in the barrier around the FAYZ. You even get to see some events on the other side of the barrier for the first time, with whole chapters told from the POV of Sam and Caine's mother.

And yet nothing really happens. Oh sure, things take place, events occur, but none of it feels anywhere near as significant as it should at the fifth book in a six-book series. I have vague recollections (possibly imagined) of reading that GONE was the first book in a trilogy, and I can't help but think things have been stretched out to fit six books after it became so successful.

If you've read the previous four you'll read this, I'm sure, but for me the spark has gone out of the series, and I found it a big disappointment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fear.

05/10 marked as: read