Marty's Reviews > The Arctic Incident

The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer

Aug 18, 08

bookshelves: school-bookshelf
Read in August, 2008

Having had such a unique and fun experience with the first book in the Artemis Fowl series, I wondered whether the second would fall into sequel syndrome or whether it would keep adding to an already lush literary world. And the result ... while it had all the same fun, clever, and exciting elements as the first book, there was one thing that it lacked: depth. Sure the premise was there: Artemis is trying to find his father, but the ending here did not redeem the story as the last one did. In this book, the climax is not as brilliantly set up as the last one, does not showcase Artemis's genius as the last one, nor did it pack the emotional power of a truly moving scene like the last one did. Good writing? Absolutely. Smart dialogue, settings, and technology? Of course. But providing anything more than the first? I would say not. Still, though, you could sit down and read much worse. And I'm sure that I will make time for more books in the series, hoping that one will transcend sequel syndrome and move on a higher plain, because Colfer has proven he has it in him. It just didn't come with this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Arctic Incident.