Lee's Reviews > American Gods

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

May 26, 12

bookshelves: favorites
Read from April 01 to May 21, 2012

** spoiler alert ** Most of Neil Gaiman's books have one thing in common: Reluctant Protagonist.
..or in the extreme sense: 'from zero to hero'.
Richard Mayhew in Neverwhere, Fat Charlie in Anansi Boys, Joey in Interworld..

So when I started to read American Gods, I wasn't really surprised to find the same old pattern. The quite-ordinary guy, Shadow, somehow trapped in the middle of quite-extraordinary issues, the battle that isn't his to fight, in this case, the old and the new gods'.

But something is different from this Shadow person.
He's not really reluctant.
In fact, he's not anything. He didn't protest like Fat Charlie, he didn't try to run like Richard Mayhew, he just sort of like..deal with it.
For an ordinary guy, his reaction is far too composed.
A weird guy with a glass eye that knows all about Shadow and out of the blue offering him a job, he took it. Bunch of even weirder guys call themselves GODS, he just shrugged.
Dead wife visited at night, he barely surprised.

...Shadow isn't just 'deal with it'.
Shadow is numb.

To be honest, in the first third part of the book, his numbness feels nothing more than a bad writing. It's almost made me want to throw the book across the wall.
But after more than a third, his (too) easygoing vibe became the most important rig for the story. It made the reader able to see the story behind all the stories.
Like a perfect pinch of salt in the food.

Please mind my symbolism.

So in the end, I found many layers in American Gods. Of fantasy, of social problem, of culture problem, of irony.
and I'm sure I will find many more as I re-read it.
yep, this book is so good I can't even wait to read it again.
*that* good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read American Gods.

04/02/2012 page 3
0.0% "sebelum beli, dibaca dulu. *err*"
04/02/2012 page 19
2.0% "*officially hooked up*"
04/03/2012 page 100
13.0% "beside Good Omens, Neil Gaiman's story plot hardly ever differ.."
04/05/2012 page 146
19.0% "written really nicely. The different plots doesn't overcome the other story."
04/12/2012 page 153
20.0% "Baskervilles is holding me up. Should focus in this, left it for couple of weeks and I already forgot the story."
04/12/2012 page 260
33.0% "Salim's story. My oh my, now I'm curious about the translation version.."
04/17/2012 page 293
54.0% "please tell me there's actually a point in all these random side stories.."
04/19/2012 page 343
63.0% "..PLEASE tell me there's actually a point in this story!"
04/30/2012 page 400
74.0% "goodreads should have a 'Hibernated' button. Making new blogs stole my reading time.."