Tina Peterson's Reviews > Simon and the Easter Miracle

Simon and the Easter Miracle by Mary Joslin

Mar 31, 2012

liked it

With Easter coming up this week I thought I would share this interesting story - with a twist. It is more of a "folk tale" than a Bible Story because it doesn't tell the whole story. I would of liked to see a page in the back with the story/scripture typed up to support the actual story for older kids/adults.

I had never heard this folk tale - yes, I knew about the man ordered to carry Jesus' cross on the day of his Crucifixion but I had never heard this particular story. Peter was a man who gone to the village to sell produce (eggs and vegetables) and ended up having to carry Jesus' cross. After Peter returns to get his things he discovers all of his goods were destroyed except 12 eggs - which end up hatching after the Sabbath.

The illustrations in the book remind me of many of the little Bible Story books that we had when I was little. The pictures are simple and tell the story beautifully. BUT do be aware this isn't a story that is based on the Bible (other than the man who carried Jesus' cross and Jesus' Crucifixion) - it's almost a combination of the Easter story and where Easter Eggs came from - there is no mention of Jesus' resurrection. I would use it along with a children's picture bible that includes the whole story of Easter.

Kregel Publications provided a copy of the book for review on Classic Children's Books. No money exchanged hands and I was not required to write a positive review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Simon and the Easter Miracle.