Kessia Robinson's Reviews > Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry

Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor

Mar 31, 2012

liked it

Taylor's book explores the experiences of the Logan family, a black family living in the south during a time in which many black families were sharecroppers. The Logan family owns their own land--but is under a lot of pressure by white wealthy families to sell it. Told mostly from the viewpoint of the Logan children, Cassie, Little Man, Stacey, and Christopher-John, the book explores their school adventures, the racism they run into, how they react to it (both aggressively at times, and passively at times) and how, in the end, they'll resort to about anything to protect their land. I won't say too much more in order to avoid spoiling it. The book, for me, was a fascinating insight into the life of the time period--and a good reminder of the racism that still exists in our world today. The experiences of TJ, Stacey, and Cassie present deep reasons for the lack of trust felt between the races both in that time period and, to some extents, today. In my mind, this historical fiction piece is important because of this exploration of prejudice--and how people choose to confront it. I'd say this book is appropriate for a YA audience ranging from 12-16, broad because of its historical perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.