Jesse Beynon's Reviews > I Had Seen Castles

I Had Seen Castles by Cynthia Rylant

M 50x66
Mar 31, 2012

liked it

This book is about a young man in his senior year of high school. John Dante is 17. As many of his friends leave for war, he can't because he is not quite 18. Everyone is so upset with the Japanese. There are banners and posters, etc. that slander them and all they stand for. They are all enjoying the idea of war until reports of their loved ones start coming back as dead. This is when war becomes a reality to many of them. John meets a girl, Ginny, that inspires him. They fall in love and begin to make promises of getting married, etc. Ginny is against the war, John is totally for it. The question is will they end up together as he turns 18 and leaves. He starts to see things her way as he is in war. He kills to avoid dying and sees much hardship. It is a great moral book that gets you to think a lot. I say three stars instead of four because of the sexuality of it. There wasn't a ton, but it was really easy to envision what the author was depicting in the few sex scenes. I was a little disturbed by it although it really was selective in what she said. There is a little language in this. The violence and detail is troubling as well. He is at war so you hear a lot about that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Had Seen Castles.