Beth's Reviews > Before Your Dog Can Eat Your Homework, First You Have to DoIt: Life Lessons from a Wise Old Dog to a Young Boy

Before Your Dog Can Eat Your Homework, First You Have to DoIt by John O'Hurley

Apr 11, 09

bookshelves: nonfiction, dog-books
Read in April, 2009

The voice in this book was a little bit difficult to follow. Well, maybe difficult is the wrong word to use - how about staccato. It didn't flow. One minute the dog is speaking, the next minute he's speaking to his book audience, and the next minute he's speaking to his son. It was cute, but the stories and advice in this book were less about the dog and more about his own experiences in life and how he wants his son to learn from them. I guess that's all fine an dandy if you're in the mood for that sort of thing, but I was honestly more in the mood for reading a cute, humorous book told from a dog's point of view, not a human's.

Having said all that, I do particularly identify with the passage O'Hurley writes on p. 65:

"...if life were fair, it would be a life without growth and perspective. There is meaning in suffering, as difficult as it is to endure. From it we learn humility and persistence. There is appreciation in abundance. From it we realize that life is full of grace as well."

Parents tend to be raising children today with the mindset that their children have the God-given right to always be happy and they will try to provide them with everything possible to keep them that way. It's my belief that is why our country is in this horrible financial situation we're in to begin with. If we'd all just understand that suffering builds character and helps us appreciate the good times, maybe we wouldn't avoid it so much. Sure it's not pleasant, but it's much better to suffer once in a while and learn from it than to grow up having been handed everything to you and now you have no soul.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before Your Dog Can Eat Your Homework, First You Have to DoIt.