Russ's Reviews > The Color Purple

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

190649
Jul 13, 07

bookshelves: 2007, novel
Recommended for: Women, students, anyone who is not prudish
Read in June, 2007

I first read this in high school, and really enjoyed it. I re-read it in 2007, and enjoyed it just as much the second time.

First thing I should mention: This is not the book for you if you object to blunt language about sexuality, and strong language in general. The themes in this one are very real, and very shocking. However, if you can get past that, the story does offer some very touching moments.

The story, in a nutshell: Celie, a poor black girl living in Georgia, overcomes poverty, sexual oppression, racial oppression, and the separation of herself and her sister. She goes through several lifetimes of pain and hurt, but ends up a strong woman in the end.

The entire book is told through diary entries, which I think makes things quite interesting. It skews the story toward the views of those doing the writing, but of course those are the people we are supposed to trust in the novel.

Favorite part: The end of the book. It touched my heart after reading everything that came before.

Favorite character: Albert. He's not a good man by any stretch of the imagination, yet he does change a lot during the book. His story makes me think there's hope for just about any lowlife.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color Purple.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bogan (new)

Bogan yes i was emiley

LaTina I really appreciated Albert's transformation in the end. It brightened the book tremendously. I enjoyed the conclusion because it wasn't the typical cheesy happy ending. It was a well thoughtout and heart felt conclusion.