Leah's Reviews > A Long Obedience in the Same Direction: Discipleship in an Instant Society

A Long Obedience in the Same Direction by Eugene H. Peterson

Apr 21, 2012

Read in March, 2012

Eugene's been a favorite author of mine since "The Message" and "Praying with the Psalms." He is no-nonsense, golden-toned, inspired, full of wisdom, and deep.

"A Long Obedience in the Same Direction" wins my prize for Best Book Title I've Heard So Far. I've been wanting to read it for years and am very glad I finally did.

"Long Obedience" takes a discerning look at the Psalms of Ascent (120-134). Here are highlights:

120: Renouncing the World: Repentance

121: Go to God for Everything: Providence

122: Be Sharpened by Worship: Worship

123: Be Like Waiters (Deacons): Service

"If God is God at all, he must know more about our needs than we do."

"If we want to understand God, we must do it on his terms."

"The moment we look up to God (and not over at him, or down on him) we are in the posture of servitude."

"'God wants good for us' is what we can expect from Him when we look up. And 'He will get his way in us.'"

124: Rescue from Hazard Is the Norm: Help

125: GOD is Sure of US: Security

126: Enter God's Abundance: Joy

127: It's All about Relationship: Work

128: Staying in God's Awesome Presence: Happiness

Gospels: Jesus showing us how to live

Acts, etc.: Jesus empowering us to live

129: Tap into invisible Strength: Perseverance

Patience is like tapping into an underground river, invisible to observers [they think you're just lobing out. Kenneth Copeland said, "Patience undergirds faith."]

God will outlast all your storms.

130: God redeems through Suffering: Hope

"Hoping is imagination put into the harness of faith."

131: Confidence in God: Humility

"Humility is the obverse side of confidence in God, whereas pride is the obverse side of confidence in self."

132: Memory Meets Hope: Obedience

This psalm activates faith's memory. "We need roots in the past to give obedience ballast and breadth; we need a vision of the future to give obedience direction and goal." Otherwise we'll make page 1 four-color stories into page 37 classifieds and vice versa.

133: Relationship & Expectancy: Community

"Membership in the Church isn't an option: it's part of the fabric of redemption."

134: More Life for All & Less for None!: Blessing

"Whichever form the blessing takes, it implies an exchange of the contents of the soul."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Long Obedience in the Same Direction.