Bonnie's Reviews > Batman: Dark Victory

Batman by Jeph Loeb

Aug 22, 08

Recommended for: anyone who liked "The Dark Knight" movie.
Read in August, 2008

This sequel to "The Long Halloween" delves into the war between Gotham's organized crime families and the chaotic team of "freaks" that have escaped from Gotham. Batman is aided (and sometimes hindered) by Commissioner Gordon and the GCPD, new D.A. Janice Porter, Catwoman, and Robin. There's a new serial killer on the loose, the Hang Man, who kills a cop on each holiday, placing a game of hang-man on the victim.

If you like your Gotham villains, then you're in for a treat. You get to see a bit of each villain, though Two-Face plays a larger part. This is also an excellent introduction to Robin... he's only a tad cheesy (doesn't he have to be?). Loeb/Sale contrast the Graysons' deaths with those of the Waynes', as well as how both orphans dealt with the tragedy. Robin's a much more hopeful character.

The artwork is incredible. I loved it! My only complaint is that the story can get somewhat repetitive... if you've read "The Long Halloween," you feel like you're following the same path, using the same pacing. Also, there's a narrative at the start of each chapter reiterating the loss of Harvey Dent... seriously, I get it after the first chapters. I don't know if the chapters were released individually, but in a bound format, it can get a bit annoying.

All in all, this is a great Batman story, and a nice followup to "The Long Halloween." You just might want to give yourself a little time inbetween readings.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Batman.