GSGS's Reviews > 4:50 from Paddington

4 by Agatha Christie

Apr 04, 12

Read from March 31 to April 04, 2012

OK, I admit it. I kinda maybe flipped to the end of the book... unintentionally, of course... So I knew who it was. BUUUT I still enjoyed it and it still had me guessing.

I think that, having read Poirot first, I'll always prefer him. It's like Mallory Towers vs. St Clare's in my Enid Blyton years days - I read Mallory Towers first and always loved it better. Only a wee bit better, but still. Same situation here.

I think that the main problem is that while you get the feeling that Miss Marple knows what's going on, she didn't offer up the information until, like, the last page. It was the police directing all the action, while Miss Marple stood back and observed. I think that while her elderly, frail body kind of adds to Miss Marple's personality as a protagonist, it still would've been great if she got in a bit more of the action.

So far, I'm really enjoying Agatha Christie.

Oh yeah, and:

"Do you take him for walks, Lucy?" Miss Marple asked. "To the pigsties, perhaps?"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 4.

Lulu Yes I agree. I expected Marple to physically solve most of these crimes herself but sometimes it does irritate me that she doesn't reveal the murderer until the last few pages or the last chapter! I did read A Caribbean Mystery though, and she did solve the mystery mostly all by herself (the entire book was pretty much from her POV) if you want to give that shot.

GSGS Thanks, I shall (if I can ever find it in my library!) :D