Glenda's Reviews > Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey by E.L. James

Mar 31, 2012

did not like it
Read in March, 2012

Had I not read about this dog on "The Huff Post," it never would have been on my radar. E.L. James--the name's a pseudonym--found her inspiration from Stephanie Meyer's "Twilight" series. No surprise given the abusive male/female relationship at the center of this "romance."Just as the "Twilight" books depict a dysfunctional relationship between Bella and Edward, James has created a female protagonist whom readers are to believe is a virgin but who also finds pleasure in violent sex, including flogging. Please.I nearly abandoned the book several times, but curiosity about its appeal prompted me to persevere. I can't help but wander what the popularity of a book that sends such a disturbing message about sex says about our society. Before anyone shouts that I missed the point, I get that the book ends w/Anastasia leaving Christian Gray, but don't they get back together in the next book (which I haven't read). And I get that Christian harbors some deep, dark secret about his childhood that makes him desire dominance over women and gives him pleasure in causing them pain. A little titilation in a book is good for fantasizing, but is encouraging women--the target audience--to fantasize about a man whipping them with horse whips really something to promote? On a strictly literary level, the book is formulaic and predictable; the sex scenes are redundant in terms of James's descriptions.The characters are boring and unbelievable. Really, other than professional athletes, I can't think of one twenty-seven year old multimillionaire who owns a helicopter and a corporation. Is there anything Christian Gray can't do? Oh, yes, behave decently and respectfully to women. James was recently paid around five million for the film rights; the film will have to get an NC17 or worse rating if it stays true to the book. I only wish I could give the book 0 stars, and I sure hope the erotica crown on goodreads doesn't bombard me w/ friend requests as reading this trash was an anomaly for me. BTW, I actually thought about not posting this title to my update feed as I'm a bit embarrassed that I allowed myself to get seduced by my own curiosity.
5 likes · flag

message 1: by Dana (new)

Dana A friend of mine keeps trying to get me to read this, but I know I won't like it, and your review only confirmed it for me.

Glenda Thanks, Dana. I'm still trying to get my mind around the book's popularity. I wish I had said something in the review about how the mainstream media is promoting (highlighting, talking about) FSoG. I read a cover story in "Entertainment Weekly" about the author and her love of "Twilight."

message 3: by Robin (new)

Robin thanks, Glenda. I read the piece in EW too, and I was mildly curious, but too busy with other things to give it a try. Now, thanks to you, I don't have to waste my time.

message 4: by Leslie (new)

Leslie The summer has started and I can read what I want...all my friends have told me I must read this. But any time I can look at the cover of a book and envision the entire plot, I know I will be disappointed. It seems as if no woman can imagine a man who is a great lover and also healthy. Worse, I worry that women still equate violence with great sex. So thx for saving me the time. The search for a (contemporary) trashy novel with style continues.